Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Student of the Word

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

When I really study my Bible, I always find it interesting how I start in one place and wind up somewhere totally different. God has intentions and plans for each person that reads His Word, especially when we are really desiring to get something out of it. I've been guilty of just reading a few verses and then moving on simply out of duty. I mean, yes, I sometimes am so busy that a few verses is all I can do and I know the Lord understands. However, my goal every day should be some good study time. 
Why study God's word? Well, there are a million different reasons. This verse is the first one that comes to mind, one my old Sunday school teacher used to always refer to. Something I find very interesting about studying the Word is how it expands my mind and challenges me to think in ways I hadn't really done before. It expands my vocabulary and knowledge of history. It can help me see the world more the way God sees and less of the way I see it. After all, I truly believe that although the Bible was written by man, it was completely God-inspired. 
Sometimes when a young Christian begins to study their Bible, they think, "oh man. There is no way I can be as smart as these Bible scholars who have read the Bible through and through." The day after I got saved, I can remember wanting to jump right into a challenging book like Revelation! (That book is a challenge even for the more "seasoned Christians.") However, picking apart a small verse, cross referencing (the verses listed in the middle- I actually learned it had a use! Ha ha), looking up the definitions and origins of each word, is just as important and life changing. I can't tell you how many times God has revealed something to me just through something like that and how exciting it was to know the King of kings shared something with me.
I encourage whoever reads this to study the Word. Study about studying and why it's so vitally important! Get to know the One who created you, died for you, and saved you. Go wherever The Lord leads you. He can take you to some pretty neat places and do amazing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post! & God bless! :)