Friday, November 22, 2013

What I've been making

Lastnight I broke down and got out the bread maker. Yes, the one I've had for four years and probably have only used four times.
We didn't have bread, I wanted bread, and I had everything to make it. Quite honestly, I don't know why I buy it from the store!! It was super easy and I stored it in a freezer bag to keep from going stale. I'm excited to make a chicken salad sandwich with it today.

Oh yeah! Chicken salad! I used to hate the stuff. I've always loved a good tuna sandwich and I guess the fact that the two are almost identical, but didn't taste the same, has always made me mad. Anywho, I've had a random hankering for it! (No I'm not pregnant.*) And unless I'm baking, it's rare that you'll find me using a recipe. If you know the basics of cooking and what goes with what, you can basically throw a bunch of stuff together and it tastes good. So, I made sure miracle whip was the right thing to use and made a wonderful batch! 
2 chicken breasts
Enough miracle whip (ah, I didn't measure?!)
A few grapes, sliced in half
1/8 cup of an onion diced
3 green onions chopped
Nuts are optional, but I never use them! 
And mix it all up! Yum! I made this lastnight for my hubby's lunch today, so I haven't tasted this batch yet. I am soo excited for lunch. 

Yes. Food is important in my life. I'm holding myself back from a rant about starving yourself vs. being healthy and not a grumpy hungry woman. Another time.

Lastly, I made a random sweet, low calorie, low sugar, low INGREDIENT snack yesterday. I'm not really trying to go on an all non processed diet, because, well, I just don't want to. However, I'm trying to learn new ways to make snacks for the hubby and kids that aren't filled with a bunch of junk, is easy, and cheap. Plus, it's fun! These little snacks were called banana oatmeal balls. My mom made them a few months ago and I thought they looked weird. I am, in fact, a picky eater that judges food by how it looks, but I'm trying to expand my horizons. I had a few ripe bananas and I didn't feel like making banana bread, so I gave it a go. I also added chocolate chips to give it a little extra sweetness. Chocolate makes everything better. If chocolate isn't your thing, you could add nuts or coconuts. Or just eat it as is!
This recipe is crazy. Ready?
1 cup of quick cooking oatmeal
2 ripe bananas
Chocolate chips (I didn't measure, but you'll know when you have enough in there)
Roll into balls on greased baking sheet 
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

The kids really liked this snack and my hubby said they were "the bomb." Really? When has anyone said that since middle school? Oh well. I'll take the compliment! 

So, that's what I've been making lately.  Tomorrow I'm gonna have to share my 7up biscuits that my mom introduced me to!

*any time I mention a food craving, I am asked if I am pregnant. Funny thing is, I rarely had cravings when pregnant! People were just more attentive to what I was eating!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post! & God bless! :)