Friday, November 15, 2013

Stir it up!

I just love it when I'm reading God's Word and He reveals a little nugget of Truth to me. Sometimes it's so easy to just read the Bible and not really read it. However, when I dig in a little and let the words speak to me, I get excited!

2 Peter 1:13
"Yea, I think it is meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance."
(He somewhat repeats this phrase in chapter 3, verse 1.)

Stir: to incite, instigate, prompt; to rouse from inactivity, quiet, contentment, indifference; to be emotionally moved or strongly affected

I love drinking kool aid! Actually, the kids love it and I try to keep a jug in the fridge every day. I buy the premade stuff where you add the powder to water, stir, and viola! You don't even need sugar. It's all there. Now, I don't know about you, but if the kool aid isn't stirred, it kinda tastes bad. I mean, you can tell it tastes like grape or strawberry lemonade, but it's kind of faint and sour. You know it could be better.
Play with me here. I know this is all common sense, but I'm trying to make a point.
Our relationship with God is like this. We are jug of water and the Holy Spirit is that powder that has been put inside of us. (Yep. When we get saved, God takes up residence in our hearts! Yeah!) When that powder is poured in, a lot of it settles to the bottom. And, like I said, earlier, it tastes funny. It just isn't right. It could be better.
I'm killing you with this build up over kool aid, aren't I? It was the best analogy I had for the moment. 
Anyhow, you know what the kool aid needs. You know what your spiritual life needs.
STIRRING UP.
And then it's all good and you can drink it in without making a face. (Blech! That's sour!)
The directions on the kool aid package are clear and if you don't stir the stuff, it isn't going to taste right. It isn't going to have the quality you desire. It's the same thing with God! (His directions are found in the Word of God. That's a good place to start!)
Life is gets so crazy sometimes and we often get bogged down with every day stresses that we neglect to remember The Lord and what He has done for us. He's there, we know He's there, but the relationship just isn't right. It might even be a little sour.
WE NEED STIRRIN'.
(That's Kentucky talking for ya!)
Sometimes if I really read His Word and start praising Him for all He's done, I begin to feel closer to Him each day. And each day is like a new jug of water, it needs stirrin'!
We need to read that old Gospel that changed our hearts the first time we heard it. That Gospel that drew us out of our lives of sin and misery ... and we need to allow it to affect us again. Not in the same way, as we are always saved, but to remember what God has done for us and is doing for us! We need to remember His mercy and His grace, even when it was our sin that nailed Him to that cross! We need to remember that even though we are still sinners, His mercy knows no limits or boundaries.
Maybe if we get stirred up, we might be moved into action. Moved to tell someone about Jesus, to be more faithful in the things we struggle in, or just moved to get up and praise Him! And then we can taste that The Lord is good, like the Bible says.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post! & God bless! :)