Thursday, October 24, 2013

Confession: I Own Guns and I Support The 2nd Amendment

Where I live, it's not uncommon for people to own guns. A lot of people enjoy the recreation of hunting or going to gun range. It's just what we do! However, gun ownership is not limited to sports and hunting use. Many people also believe in having a gun for self defense. Maybe that's the way they were raised or perhaps they were the victim of a violent crime and feel safer having the power of a weapon. Hey, maybe they were taught the consititution in school!
I was not raised around guns. I know my father had no problem with guns, we just never owned them. I was not familiar with them and I heard too many horror stories. An old friend from middle school committed suicide with a gun and I was a witness in a murder trial where a man shot and killed his wife. In my mind, it just wasn't a good idea. I lived with the mentality that if someone broke in my house, I'd hide under the bed and call the police! Or get out the steak knife! 
Times have changed and I am now a proud gun owner. I wholeheartedly believe a person needs to be educated on how to use a gun and respect it. However, I don't think twice about the guns in my home and I feel safer with them. Here are three reasons why:

1. The consititution says I can. Yeah! I remember memorizing the amendments once in my junior year Law & Justice class. (This class was an elective, by the way.) And I didn't really know what the right to bear arms meant! Instead, I just knew that gun control was the way to go and that they killed lots of people. Did you know that back in the day, in public schools, they used to teach kids how to use guns?! And just six years ago, when I was in high school, there were kids like me who didn't even understand their constitutional right to use them. Wow. Thank God for this blessed document, even if there are educators out there who choose to overlook it.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

2. I'm a stay at home mom. If I had a public job, I'd probably feel even more of a need for a gun, but thankfully that's not the case. When my husband isn't here to fight off the bad guys, if God forbid we had any, it's my job to do something about it. Response time for a police man to show up is just not quick enough when someone breaks in. You know what is? My little pistol very well hidden in my bedroom. I keep these weapons away from my kids, in fact, they've only seen them one or two times and probably weren't even aware of it (they are three and one). With that said, I'm a little woman. I'm not very strong. I cannot fight this dude off! However, my gun is pretty tough.
Note: The thought of shooting/killing someone is not an enjoyable one for me and I hope I never have to use my gun for it's intended purpose. However, if I feel like myself or my children are in danger, I won't think twice about using it.

3. They're fun to shoot! I'm pretty freaked out every time I shoot one and I definitely suggest ear plugs, but I enjoy shooting. I don't know if I could kill a deer, especially since I recently learned I don't like venison, but knowing how to shoot them could be useful one day!vy

I feel like someone might read this and think I'm a total gun toting freak. Fact is, I'm a regular person who used to think gun control was the way to go and that we all needed to just love each other. Sadly, that's not how this world works. When I got saved, I learned about the depraved nature of man and the wickedness of this world. There will always be some sicko out there who wants to shoot up a bunch of innocent people or break into a home where they believe their victims will be defenseless. I'm not some blood thirsty loon who wants to kill people, but I want the right to defend myself if I need to.

How do you feel about guns? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post! & God bless! :)