Friday, July 1, 2011

Changin' It Up

Sometimes my job as a stay at home wife and mom can get kinda boring. It starts feeling mundane and routine with the same tasks ... cleaning, laundry, cooking, etc. I think once I had Constance I had forgotten how to really enjoy it. I got in a pretty deep depression because of it and I honestly woke up every morning in a bad mood. I'm sad that I wasted this time, but thankfully things have changed.

I'll have to admit that once Constance was born, I quit reading my Bible the way I should. I used having a baby as an excuse and I used all of my free time to do other things. I'm a firm believer in the fact that reading my Bible and taking time for the Lord during the day really helps my attitude, but it can be a challenge to actually sit down and do it. I've been trying to read my Bible just once a day and also spending some time in prayer. That has helped a lot. I've also been trying to pray for others, as thinking about other people's needs can put things into perspective.

Another thing I've been doing is breaking the MONOTONY! Rather than just doing my job of cleaning and taking care of Constance, I've been trying to have more fun. I was waking up in the mornings in a horrible mood and feeling like I needed to get everything done as soon as I woke up. Lately I have just been enjoying my mornings more ... feeding Constance her breakfast, cleaning a little as I go, playing with Constance, going for morning walks. It helps get me moving and not in a ... I hate life and need to get this junk done ... way.

When it comes to taking care of the home, I've been trying to have more fun with it. Cleaning can be such a drudgery for a while, although I love the result. But I have to mix it up a little. I've been doing little things to make the house smell pretty, re-decorating, or re-organizing things. I feel like I'm taking on a little project rather than just doing a job and it's more fun that way. I really get into it. I plan on making little lists of things that need to be done and taking them on day by day just so I can have something to mix things up a bit.

Little tip? Dryer sheets placed throughout the house to make it smell pretty. I loveeee dryer sheets, no lie. And when I gave a neighbor a few, she decided to return the favor by buying some Bounce sheets to replace mine. I hadn't taken them to the laundry area right away and I noticed every time I walked through the kitchen it smelled wonderful. So, I decided to find strategic places to hide the dryer sheets. My husband loves it. :)

When it comes to taking care of my husband, I've been writing him more love letters and making his tea every day. He received a special Father's Day mug this past year at church so I make sure that it's clean and that he has tea. It might sound kind of silly, but it gives us both something to look forward to in the afternoons.

And with Constance, I've really been playing with her more and just soaking up her baby-ness. I could eat her up, no lie. I've been spending less time online (I know, that's why I have been MIA lately) and getting busy with her! It's been such a joy.

Being a stay at home wife and mom is definitely a challenge, because you've really got to find ways to enjoy it and make it work. I went through a time where I didn't even know if I wanted to be at home anymore ... but I think I am really beginning to come out of that.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post! & God bless! :)