Thursday, June 24, 2010

What defines me?

The world has defined quite clearly what a woman should be today. You watch movies, listen to music, and observe all kinds of media and you will see just what women should live up to. This has played a large role in my own coming of age, because it has defined me as well. The world has played a large influence in various areas of my life including what I'm supposed to look like and who I am supposed to be. The more I read my Bible and begin to understand my identity in Christ, I learn that the world's idea of how I am supposed to be greatly disagrees. I begin to realize I have been living a lie, living up to another standard that wasn't meant for me, and that I haven't been living my life to the fullest because of it. I don't even want to be the woman that is so glorified in television and movies today. I've tried to be her and she failed me. Why? Because that isn't me.
I believe for a woman to truly be sexy and successful in her life, she needs to be comfortable with who she really is - not what the rest of the world has laid out for her to be. I have realized that these standards do not define me, God does. If you're wondering how to find your true identity, find it in Christ. By studying His word and reading about what He expects from Christians and how they relate with the world, I learn more and more about who I really am. The Bible says, "Be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:2)
The standard of the world is one that will fail us - it wont bring us joy or happiness the way it promises. I have learned that the hard way one too many times. & Quite honestly, I've learned it to be quite lame. With realizing who I am as a woman of God, I feel freedom. I feel like I can be comfortable with myself and be who I truly am.
The verse I listed talks about not being conformed to this world, but having our minds transformed. The way to do that is through studying the Bible on a daily basis and allowing God to use His Word to work through us. I've learned that the more I study His Word and His ways, the less interested I become in the false philosophies of the world. I become more interested in His plan and His will, not my own.

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you." - James 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post! & God bless! :)