Thursday, August 19, 2010

Impossible to please Him

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him:" - Hebrews 11:6

Why does it say that it is impossible to please God without faith? I mean, impossible is a word that implies there is no way whatsoever that God will be pleased. Like many words in the Bible, this one is absolute. There are no gray areas involved. So, how come it is impossible?
To please God, we should completely surrender our lives in faith and obey His Word. As Bro. Waters said recently, faith produces obedience. Without faith, we can't do what God asks of us.
The word obey means to comply with or follow (a command, restriction, wish, instruction, etc.). Many times in a Christian's walk, God will ask us to do various things. God, who sees the full picture and end result, already has a plan as to how things are supposed to work. We are humans who see things in the temporal sense; what we can see right in front of us at this very moment. Sometimes what God asks of us may seem a bit crazy and our opinions will disagree. This is the point where we're faced with a decision. We can either go with what we think and see at that time, ignoring God's commands. Or by faith we can follow through with what God asks of us.
This reminds me of the story of Noah. Everyone knows the story about Noah and the ark, I'm sure. Noah had never seen rain, but he still obeyed God by building an ark to prepare for it. I mean, Noah had every right to be thinking God was whack. He was also to tell everyone around about God and His coming judgement for their iniquity. Nobody believed the crazy ark guy who said this weird stuff was going to fall from the sky and kill everyone. I'm sure they mocked him and laughed in his face when he tried to tell them anything else. I know that if I were in Noah's shoes, I would have said - "I don't even know what a flood is, God. Are you sure it's even possible? & No one else believes this." So, naturally Noah could have ignored God's command during this time of opposition and adversity. He could have followed his doubts and just stepped down from doing what God asked, because of his lack of faith. Instead, however, Noah continued on in faith. Noah trusted God's Word and trusted His promises. & Even though he probably had no clue what God was talking about when it came to rain, he trusted and obeyed. As a result, he was spared the judgement of the great flood and was blessed. It sure is a good thing Noah listned, eh?
I know I have been in Noah's shoes a time or two. No, I've never been asked to build an ark, but God has asked me to do things that my own feelings disagreed with. However, because I believe that God knows what's best, I did it. & I can say this with a one hundred percent guarantee: I don't think a Christian will ever regret doing what God asks them to do, because God's will is the safest and most perfect place to be among all others.
I have also ignored God's commands plenty of times. I have only been saved for 8 months, but because I am a stubborn human, I've already rolled my eyes at God in various different situations. I knew there was something I needed to do, but because my opinions disagreed, I disobeyed. I saw things as they were at that very moment; how it made me feel, how I wanted it to go, etc. I wasn't considering God's plan, His will, or His ability to see the entire picture. I didn't care. & That is what I regret doing. By serving myself, I made the wrong decision and now I deal with the consequences.
So, this explains my answer. If we don't have faith in who God is, what He knows, His promises, etc., then we aren't going to be obedient. & Obedience is one of the greatest ways to exercise faith in a true and active relationship with God. If a person is not willing to do what God asks of them, they don't have faith.

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." - James 2:26

. I know that practicing faith in my own life has been something I have struggled with very much. & Yet God continually brings me back to these verses and examples as to how I need it in my life to truly surrender. I don't write these blogs to preach at anyone, but to share what God has been encouraging me to do. :) (In hopes that someone else can learn from my experiences.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post! & God bless! :)