Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Years Resolution (kinda)

I told myself that on New Years Day, I would get back to exercise and eating healthier. Well, I felt horrible yesterday and I had a lot of leftover junk food. I wound up eating strawberry pie for dinner. But hey ... there was some dairy, some fruits. Ha!
I don't think I'm fat. Although the self loathing comes out sometimes (especially when I am hormonal), I try to refrain from that kind of speaking and thinking for the sake of my daughter. I don't want her to be defined by the number on the scale (which doesn't matter really) or her jean size. I want her to be healthy, happy, and confident in who she is. I hated my body all growing up and did a lot of damage to my metabolism by going on crazy diets and other weird things that never worked! So, thinking I'm fat isn't the reason I want to be healthy.
I've been thinking about this for a very long time and it played a huge role in my completely giving up diet coke almost two months ago. (Yes, I gave up my dearest old pal.) I think sometimes the sin of gluttony is overlooked because we need food and our society revolves around it. However, I know the sin that my flesh probably loves the most would have to be gluttony. No lie. I love food. I love to cook. I love to eat, especially when I'm stressed. And I have a very hard time with self control. (Temperance is a fruit of the spirit, you know.)
So here's a short list I've come up with as to why I want to eat healthier and live a healthier lifestyle:
-My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit.
-and yes, we all love the verse that says, "bodily exercise profiteth little." However, it didn't say it doesn't profit at all! It just doesn't really profit us the way spiritual exercise does! And I believe that if we are following God like we should, we will have the power to push ourselves to be our best spiritually and physically!
-I want to serve God for a very long time. Right now, I can eat what I want and it doesn't affect my bloodwork or how I feel (most of the time). I am fairly healthy! However, as I get older, my body is going to need to be taken care of. If The Lord tarries His coming and we around for a while, I'm gonna need energy to keep in the race! Feeling like doo physically can affect what we do for The Lord!
-I want to be able to have energy for my kids and grand kids. 
-I want to feel good!
-I want to avoid problems like high cholesterol or diabetes as I get older.
-I want to pass down healthy habits to my kids.

Now, don't think I'm getting on my high horse and saying I'm miss healthy over here. Nah. I love food and I realize this is a change made over time. Or as mom says, one meal at a time. I'm still gonna have my chocolate cake sometimes! I just need to change up some of the habits I've acquired over the years and I believe that starts in the mind and in the heart.

When I quit diet coke a couple of months ago, I hated it. Diet coke was a huge part of my life. It was how I liked to enjoy a meal. I mean, it was like smoking a cigarette for me. I loved it! However, I felt conviction over drinking it. That sounds silly and I'm not telling anyone else to quit drinking the stuff. I'm just saying what happened to me! The Lord was waking me up in the middle of the night because I needed to give this stuff up. At first, I really missed it! I would pout when I'd see someone else drinking it and my mouth would water because I craved it. However, I just began replacing it with ice cold water and every time, the desire would go away! The Lord helped me through that and now I can honestly say I rarely have a desire for it! That same thing will have to happen with eating and leading a healthy lifestyle. Just one day at a time.

This is just one of my many goals for the new year and I'm excited to see what The Lord has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my post! & God bless! :)